Sake News, Education, Events and More!
Hi, my name is Timothy Sullivan and I’m the founder of UrbanSake.com, a site devoted to sharing the appreciation, knowledge and joy of Japanese Sake with you.
How it all started
In 2005, I sampled premium sake for the first time at a Japanese Restaurant in New York City, and I couldn’t believe what I was tasting. The complex, nuanced and delicious flavors simply amazed me. I was hooked and immediately began researching how water and rice come together to make “Nihonshu”, known in the U.S. simply as “sake”. I started UrbanSake.com first as a blog to help myself keep track of the sakes I was tasting at the many sake events New York has to offer, and as a repository for everything I was learning. What began as a labor of love grew over the next few years to become a larger online resource for sake information and education in the U.S.
- 2005 Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
- 2007 Sake Samurai (Japan Sake Brewer’s Association)
- 2014 – Present: Global Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery
- 2014 – Present: Instructor, Sake School of America
- 2017 – Present: Certified WSET Level 3 Sake Educator
- 2018 – Present: Founding President, American Sake Association 501(c)3
- 2020 – Present: Host, Sake Revolution Podcast
Sake Education and Certifications:
- 2019 Sake Scholar Certification
- 2018 J.S.A. Sake Diploma (Japan Sommelier Association)
- 2018 Certified Shochu Adviser (Sake School of America)
- 2016-17: 12 Month Sake Brewing Internship – Hakkaisan Sake Brewery, Niigata Japan
- 2014 SSI International Kikisake-shi Sake Sommelier (Sake Service Institute)
- 2014 Advanced Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2013 Certified Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2012 Certified Sake Adviser (Sake School of America)
Stay in Touch
If you would like more information on UrbanSake.com or Timothy Sullivan, please get in touch through my contact page. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you enjoy UrbanSake.com! Kanpai!