Sake News, Education, Events and More!
Hi, my name is Timothy Sullivan and I’m the founder of UrbanSake.com, a site devoted to sharing the appreciation, knowledge and joy of Japanese Sake with you.
How it all started
In 2005, I sampled premium sake for the first time at a Japanese Restaurant in New York City, and I couldn’t believe what I was tasting. The complex, nuanced and delicious flavors simply amazed me. I was hooked and immediately began researching how water and rice come together to make “Nihonshu”, known in the U.S. simply as “sake”. I started UrbanSake.com first as a blog to help myself keep track of the sakes I was tasting at the many sake events New York has to offer, and as a repository for everything I was learning. What began as a labor of love grew over the next few years to become a larger online resource for sake information and education in the U.S.
Would you like to stay in touch with me and all things sake? Please consider subscribing for our free monthly sake education newsletter.
- 2005 Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
- 2007 Sake Samurai (Japan Sake Brewer’s Association)
- 2014 – Present: Global Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery
- 2014 – Present: Instructor, Sake School of America
- 2017 – Present: Certified WSET Level 3 Sake Educator
- 2018 – Present: Founding President, American Sake Association 501(c)3
- 2020 – Present: Host, Sake Revolution Podcast
Sake Education and Certifications:
- 2019 Sake Scholar Certification
- 2018 J.S.A. Sake Diploma (Japan Sommelier Association)
- 2018 Certified Shochu Adviser (Sake School of America)
- 2016-17: 12 Month Sake Brewing Internship – Hakkaisan Sake Brewery, Niigata Japan
- 2014 SSI International Kikisake-shi Sake Sommelier (Sake Service Institute)
- 2014 Advanced Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2013 Certified Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2012 Certified Sake Adviser (Sake School of America)
Stay in Touch
If you would like more information on UrbanSake.com or Timothy Sullivan, please get in touch through my contact page.
I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you enjoy UrbanSake.com! Kanpai!