Timothy Sullivan Bio
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title prestigious of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan. He was among the first handful of non-Japanese people to receive this honor.
In October 2016, Timothy was the first person ever to be granted a Cultural Activities-type Visa from the Japanese Government to study the hands-on and practical aspects of sake making for one year, which he did at the Hakkaisan Sake Brewery in Niigata, Japan.
Based in NYC, Timothy is at the forefront of sake education, both to the general public and also to industry professionals. He combines first hand knowledge of sake brewing techniques along with a deep understanding of the sake industry.
Currently, Timothy Sullivan continues his efforts full time in the sake industry, working to introduce what the Japanese call ‘the drink of the gods’ to new fans in the U.S. and around the world.
To view a selection of Timothy’s sake lectures and webinars, please visit this URL:
- 2005 Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s first sake blog and foremost sake education website
- 2007 Awarded the title of Sake Samurai by the Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
- 2014 – Present: Global Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery
- 2014 – Present: Instructor, Sake School of America
- 2015 – Present: Self Publishing the Urban Sake Tasting Notebook
- 2017 – Present: Certified WSET Level 3 Sake Educator
- 2018 – Present: Founding President, American Sake Association 501(c)(3)
- 2020 – Present: Host, Sake Revolution – America’s first sake podcast
Sake Education and Certifications:
- 2019 Sake Scholar Certification
- 2018 J.S.A. Sake Diploma (Japan Sommelier Association)
- 2018 Certified Shochu Adviser (Sake School of America)
- 2016-17: 12 Month Sake Brewing Internship – Hakkaisan Sake Brewery, Niigata Japan
- 2014 SSI International Kikisake-shi Sake Sommelier (Sake Service Institute)
- 2014 Advanced Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2013 Certified Sake Professional (Sake Education Council)
- 2012 Certified Sake Adviser (Sake School of America)
For Headshots, please visit this flickr gallery to download:
Download High resolution: PNG (5432 × 1468 px)