Hatsuzoe: In the sake production process, hatsuzoe is day one of building the Moromi mash. It is the first addition of ingredients on the first day of the moromi main mash fermentation period. First, the shubo is added to the tank. This is the fermentation starter that contains all the yeast for the moromi tank and it takes up about 5% of the tank. In addition to the shubo, brewers add the first addition of water, sake rice (kakemai) and koji rice (kojimai). This ingredient addition takes up about 25% of the tank. At the end of the day one Hatsuzoe process, with the shubo and other ingredients together, the moromi tank would be about 30% full.
Bear in mind that the links to Tippsysake.com on this site are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link to this company and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.